Saturday, November 22, 2014

Mexico´s indigenous civilizations - the Maya: Uxmal, personal recollections (part 2 of 2)

The Maya, like the Aztecs after them, constructed pyramids and ball courts, as well as monumental palaces.  They held the serpent as being especially sacred.  They also engaged in human sacrifice,  although not on as large a scale as the Aztecs.

The palace and ballcourt at Uxmal with me on a hill above it.

The Maya had a complete, written language which has only very, very recently been deciphered.  They also produced a lot of chocolate...perhaps something you don't consider important but to many of us, well, chocolate is a really good thing!

Around the same time that the Maya flourished, on their southwestern borders, contact with the smaller civilizations of Olmec, Mixtec and Zapotec influenced Mayan culture.

I was lucky enough to visit the city of Uxmal when I was around 11 years old.  My mother and uncle took me on a trip to Mexico (financed by my generous grandfather).  My mother, who loved traveling, decided we should go to Yucatán.

The pyramid at Uxmal.

My mother didn´t like going to the places that "everyone" went, so instead of going to the much better know Chichen Itza, we visited Uxmal.  At that time, my father was teaching at Tulane University, and Tulane has been very prominent in the archaeological work related to the Maya.  I´m not sure if that is why we were able to go there, but at any rate, I got to climb the pyramid.  I also learned, when at the top, that an archaeologist had died the week before right about where I was standing.  He feel from the top of the temple.

I climbed down more slowly than I climbed up.  I climbed down very, very carefully.

We also got to see a cenote, one of those mysterious bodies of water than come up from underground, and where sacrifices of young maidens are supposed to have taken place.

We even got to swim in the cenote.

__________________________
Eve A. Ma and Palomino Productions are currently working on a documentary about Mexican immigrants and Chicanos which deals briefly with the Zapotec, Mixtec, Aztec and other of Mexico´s indigenous civilizations.  Find out about this by signing up for our newsletter LINK.

No comments:

Post a Comment